Sunday, January 13, 2013

A crash course in Needles and Carbs

I remember my first few days as a newly diagnosed diabetic.  I really only remember a few things actually-- learning how to use a syringe for the first time is embedded in my head for life.  It freaked me out to look at one and touching one because I had only associated syringes with drugs (street drugs).  So naturally it scared me.  I was never afraid of needles, but I was afraid of drugs.  Knowing that I had to insert that little silver needle in my stomach or a squishy spot on my body was stressful.  I had to do this myself?  How do I even get brave enough to "just do it?"  Thankfully during this crash course in diabetes I had my Dad.  (Just an FYI, I have the BEST Dad in the universe.  Yours might be awesome too, but mine is just simply the cats meow.)  The nurse handed me a bottle of saline (no need to practice with insulin, didn't want to deal with an overdose!) and a syringe-- she told me to administer the correct dosage.  I have to poke myself with this thing?  I froze and my Dad grabbed it from me and did it himself.  Holy shit!  My Dad just took one for the team!  He said "If I can do it, so can you!"  Well, alrighty then Dad!  I mustered up the strength to push that syringe in my stomach.  I did it!  And you know what?  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I was terrified that this was my new normal, but I'm the type of girl who knows that if it's a necessity than it must be done.  I spent the rest of the afternoon learning about insulin dosages, corrections, highs, lows, carbohydrates, checking blood sugars and keeping track of basically every move I made.

Counting carbohydrates (carbs) was a challenge at first.  I consider myself a pro now.  I can tell you the carbs in most foods without even thinking about it.  I am also a pretty good guesser (is that even a word?) about a lot of carbs that don't come with a nutrition label.  But the first few days I was totally afraid to eat a single carb.  I lived off of vegetables and meat for like a week.  When I went back to see the nurse so she could evaluate my progress she was concerned that I wasn't eating quite right.  Well, I said, carbs make blood sugars go up!  Why on earth would I bother?  Then she said it, what most people don't know..."You can eat whatever you want."  What?  Eat whatever I want?  Well, hell, I want a Big Mac!  Of coarse, that was frowned upon, but the idea of being able to eat whatever I wanted sounded so amazing!  Maybe I will still have that freedom I thought I lost.  As long as I was taking the correct amount of insulin to cover the foods I wanted to eat- food was my friend again.  Thank goodness because I LOVE food!  Of coarse I struggled for a bit, but I sure did get the hang of it in no time.  I still struggle, but now I know which foods to stay away from or have in moderation (like pizza) and I am currently trying to figure out the evil carb known as coffee creamer.  Still working on that one and taking suggestions.

I'm thankful that I had my Dad, I am also thankful for a pretty good team to help me get through the first few days.  Now the hard part...being a teenager and having Type 1 diabetes.  How do I explain this to my friends?  How do I have a social life and still take care of myself?  Nope...it wasn't getting any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment