Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 A new year, a new blog

I'm welcoming 2013 with a new and improved blog, I've started and quit them so many times that I've made it my new years resolution.  I don't often make any because I never ever keep them, but this time I am changing that.  The last few months I have been utilizing my twitter account @kassiedel and I have been introduced to an amazing group of people from the DOC (Diabetes Online Community).  It's been difficult as a Type 1 diabetic to find people who "get it"  I was diagnosed 12 years ago and only recently have I been able to find a group of people who totally understand.  So with 2012 behind me and 2013 staring me right in the face it's time to get this blog rolling.  I hope that I am able to meet more wonderful people along the way.  I hope that my stories are relate-able, encouraging and fun.

Here's my story in a nutshell:

I was 19 years old, living at home and working at our local YMCA's daycare center.  I was having fun, and living a life of freedom.  I was no stranger to having health issues since I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at the age of 7.  I dealt with medications and doctors appointments often.  I was a rebel patient as I got older and never wanted to take any medication to keep the seizures from happening.  I drove my  mother mad!    So in the Fall of 2000 when my neurologist told me that I didn't have to take any more pills for my epilepsy I did a teenage happy dance.  I was so excited that I had nothing to be responsible for anymore.  I mean, none of my friends had things to worry about, why should I?

I enjoyed the Fall as any teenager would. Fall classes at the local community college, hanging with friends, bonfires, boys, shopping and working just enough to have money for gas and a coke. A real Coca-Cola.

I started noticing in the beginning of December that I was drinking more liquid than I was used too and using the bathroom more than ever before.  My mom always said I was like a camel and could wait forever before I had to go.  I lost some weight and napped after every 6 hour shift of work.  Things just didn't seem right and I knew it.  I mentioned it to my mom that I was experiencing these things and she reminded me that Diabetes was in our family.  My uncle had it, but he never talked about it and I knew he never really took care of himself.  I knew NOTHING about diabetes at all.  I had nothing to go by. 

I decided to make an appointment because these symptoms were really bringing me down.  My friends were irritated that we had to stop every hour so I could get something to drink and use the bathroom.  I on the other hand was excited to be fitting in a size 6  jean.  I had always been a 10.

As I sat waiting for the doctor to come in I had prepared myself for the diagnosis.  Everything fit and it made sense.  I mean I'm no doctor, but I wasn't stupid either.  She came in, I gave her the spiel and she poked my finger.  249 mg/dl.  Oh boy.  I had done a little research before the appointment and new that wasn't good.  She told me I had diabetes, said she would give me a minute to process and left the room.  I didn't freak out entirely-it's not really my nature.  I sat there and cried for a minute because my freedom as I knew it had officially ended.  Now what?  My doctor returned with a plan, an appointment for an endocronologist, a diabetes nurse and a nutritionist.  Overwhelmed to say the least...and then she gave me her cell phone number.  Her personal cell.  "Call me with any questions, concerns and blood sugars tonight." she said. She said I would be starting insulin first thing in the morning.  "I have to start insulin now?"  It was all happening so fast and I had to absorb my new life in a flash.  The next few days were a whirlwind of information, learning how to use syringes, insulin doses and glucose meters, recording blood sugars, and counting carbohydrates.  I adapted faster and better than I thought (I knew I had no choice) but I really had no idea what was up ahead of me for the future. After all, I was 19 years old.

Fast forward to now...12 years later (December of 2000 is my dia-versary.  I don't recall the date because I was 19 and I honestly didn't want to remember the day my freedom was taken away from me.) I am happy, healthy and taking control of my diabetes like a boss every single day.  I have good days and I have bad days but everyday I learn something new and try to embrace my life change the best I can.  I am married to a wonderful man (Brent, I met him 2 weeks after my diagnosis) who could care less that I have diabetes battle scars all over my body and I successfully run a family home daycare (Busy Bee's Daycare Inc.) and the kids don't care about the insulin pump I wear under my shirt, they snuggle up anyways and they understand when I need a juice box and that there isn't one for them.  I am a daughter, sister, wife, a super proud aunt, a friend, a provider and a diabetic.  Welcome :-)


2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you here Kassie! Thanks for sharing your story. I can't wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to have your voice in the mix too.

    ReplyDelete